Friday, October 29, 2010

Remember the Mango Tree



Photo by Tan-tan Galendo
About 20 years ago, this picture would have featured a proud and sturdy mango tree overlooking the roof of the convent and maybe even higher than the church bell tower. She provides a really wonderful shed underneath that we never missed to play under her shadows during our Flores de Mayo classes every summer.

Shockingly, she was cut to give way to some development, based on what I heard, a pity playground that was finally completed, I guess, more than 10 years later. Oh, didn’t I mention earlier that she already provides a really wonderful playground underneath her leaves and branches? I think I have witnessed the cutting down of that tree as the saw tore her apart, branch by branch, until nothing was left but a few inches of her trunk and some roots crawling for life through the ground.

Ironically, as young kid, I somehow felt excited about what I saw. There is a new playground coming for us kids! But then, I guess that playground was not meant for me and my friends because we have already grown up and there was no playground to be found in that place.

It was not until a few years later that I realized how horrifying that act has been. I somehow felt guilty for not being able to do anything to stop it, but then, probably just like many Anahawnons that time, I tried to vindicate myself by saying that I am only one ordinary person and that there is nothing I can do about it. Perhaps, as a young kid that time, I was too trusting that the adults that time would do only what they think is best for us, their kids. And then… they cut down the Mango Tree.

I have no intention of exposing or knowing whoever is responsible. After all, they probably have killed her out of good intentions. Again no, I don’t blame the people for not being able to stop a terrible offense against Mother Nature; it is either they believe that a new development is on the way; or we still were not aware that time. I am just hoping that that mango tree was not cut in vain. I just hope that Anahawnons will remember her and make her a part of the history of Anahawan as we pursue more developments into the future.

It is just unfortunate that new developments, out of indifference, unawareness, or sometimes selfishness, oftentimes bring destruction. We cut trees to build houses; or quarry sand and gravel from the shores to build roads and structures. Watch out! Anahawan is, undoubtedly, a developing town. Remember the mango tree.

"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget". - Thomas S. Szasz