Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Fathers' Day to Me!!!



Sunday, June 20, 2010, mommy woke up a little early to prepare daddy’s favorite siomai breakfast with her own version of yang chow rice. Truly there is nothing more rewarding than waking up to mommy’s breakfast. Happy fathers’ day to me!!! :)



While daddy was still snoozing the alarm clock many times already, little banana woke up few minutes after mommy. Daddy did not know she also had her own version of surprise for daddy
on fathers’ day. With noone awake to watch on her, she proceeded to play ukay-ukay by pulling all her baby clothes out of her cabinet and scattered them on the floor.

And that really did surprised daddy. When daddy woke up, she continued playing despite daddy’s look of annoyance, as if she was doing nothing wrong. While my facial expression was showing her how annoyed I was, my heart was smiling to see her surprise on this momentous day for all the fathers in the world. At this stage of her life, everything she does is just cute, literally everything. But being a father, I know I am responsible for teaching her what is right and what is wrong, and thus, the facial expression.

Though I could not avoid being proud of my bloodline, I know that being a father goes beyond simple transfer of genes and continuation of the human species or family name. We usually hear people congratulate new fathers with “kakita na gajud ka sa imong liwat noh!” but really, being a father is not as simple as seeing your “liwat”. If fatherhood is reduced to the continuation of the human species, then few generations from now, humans will be raising puppies instead of babies.

At this early stage of fatherhood, there is no telling how well I will be able to handle this responsibility. But so far so good and never did I have a job as rewarding as this one. More than the continuation of our species the way they show it on animal planet, my job is to guide her become a better person, teach her the way of the good life, help her learn good values and attain proper attitudes.

I know that she is a unique and different person and that someday, she will have her own life too. But for now, she is mine…

By the way, mommy's preparing a bonus carbonara too... so Happy Fathers' Day to all the fathers out there, especially the Anahawnon Tatays, Papas, and Lolos too!!!