Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bus explodes along EDSA Buendia, Makati



The day started with news of suicide bombing in a Moscow Airport that killed 35. I do not want to read or hear bad news anymore. There is already too much bad news at home: carnapping, murder, clashes among rebels and government soldiers, floods, landslides, and so on.

Then at around 3PM this afternoon, I got a call. A bus exploded somewhere near Ayala, where I work. I searched google right away, hoping that it was not really serious, no injuries, and above all, no casualties, please. The headlines opposed everything I prayed for:

  • ‘Big bomb’ kills 2, injures 18 bus passengers on Edsa - Inquirer.net
  • Bus explosion in Makati caused 2 people dead, 17 others injured - pinoyautobog.com
It was a north-bound air-conditioned bus called "Newman Gold Liner" with plate no. TXJ-710. The explosion at around 2PM, according to these reports, was described as something coming from a big bomb.

What scares me the most is not the incident's proximity to where I work but the fact that I ride the same kind of bus everyday. The innocent victims could be any among of us. It is just too scary.

Some English-speaking commenters in this forum were quick to blame PNoy. I don't know where they got their logic but some people just can't help blaming the president for almost everything.

From time to time, I would somehow feel that buses are not really safe. I recalled having a conversation with some friends on how easy it is to bomb a bus in Manila. No security personnel or system to check baggages. There is absolutely nothing to stop any bomber from attacking a bus, simply by disguising as another passenger. Anyone could do it, with ease.

But somehow, I still continue riding them everyday. Now with this incident, I may not take the bus anymore, or maybe just in the next few days. Anyway, is there really a completely safe way to travel nowadays?

Here are the links to the news that I used as information source in this blog post:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/metro/view/20110125-316506/Blast-hits-bus-on-Edsa

http://pinoyautoblog.com/on-the-road/bus-explosion-in-makati-caused-2-people-dead-17-other-injured/