Monday, January 17, 2011

A Gathering of Relatives and Fellow Anahawnons



The Invitation

Sunday is usually a day when I would indulge in so much sleep for as long as I can. Oftentimes I would sleep throughout most of the morning. But this time there was a good reason to wake up earlier than usual, that is, if you think 7AM is early enough. We got an invitation from a cousin, about 3 weeks earlier, to the Christening of her daughter. The venue in Sto. Rosario, Pasig sounded familiar to us but we haven't been there before so we have to allot some time just in case we won't be lucky enough to directly hit the shortest commute route.

The Commute

From our place in Pasay, the original flight plan was to take the jeepney towards the nearest MRT Station which is EDSA Taft, take the MRT up to Ortigas Station, and either take the taxi or jeepney towards Sto. Rosario Church. However, we realized that the MRT Station in Ortigas is still a considerable walking distance from the nearest jeepney loading point, which is just in front of Robinson's Galleria. We decided to just take the bus, since it would allow us to drop off closer to Robinson's Galleria. Besides, MRT management seems to have tightened their security that they need to open all wrapped items, specially gifts, which makes it inconvenient for us.

Overall, it was a smooth commute and we arrived at the Church 30 minutes earlier than the mass schedule. It was too early yet so we decided to while away the time at a nearby Jollibee restaurant. We also do not want to go against the crowd going out of church, since an earlier mass has also just ended. It was also the Feast of Sr. Sto. NiƱo, so much crowd is expected.

At Sto. Rosario Church, Pasig City

At the church, we initially saw no sign of Christening activity and no familiar faces to confirm that we were in the right church. The couple next to us also were not sure and even added to our doubts by hinting that there is another church nearby. My cousin has just lost his cellphone and I still have get his new number yet. At that point in time, there was no way to contact him. I decided to go out to check the name of the church. It was Sto. Rosario Parish - confirmed; also went to the parish office to check their bulletin board for their schedule of activities - schedule of Christening-confirmed but it was at 12 Noon, probably after the mass that we are attending. So I went back to the mass ceremony, but still looking around for familiar faces. I was looking forward not just to the event itself but also towards seeing my relatives.

Meeting Old Friends

After the mass, we finally saw Eric who then informed me that my high school classmate, Edwin, is also attending, together with her Sister, Jenelyn, who is also a high school classmate of my sister. It was a delight to see them both, who I have not seen for, I think, about more than 10 years already.

At the reception, I was even more delighted to see other Anahawnons in addition to my cousins. After heartily enjoying the feast :), while my daughter enjoyed playing with her cousins whom she just met for the first time, I decided to go around to say hello to my cousins and kababayans. Some of them I could only recognize by their friendly faces but could not really remember their names. However, who could not recognize Baluyot, or Vic Limit? I remember this guy campaigning for a position in the Student Body during my high school days. Later on I remember him as an active SK Chairman of his Barangay. That day, I just learned he is now the Barangay Captain of Mainit, Anahawan, Southern Leyte.

The Relatives

Denny, Eric's brother was a toddler when I left Anahawan. That day, he was introducing to me his wife and son. Edy was an innocent young man in high school. Now he also has his own family, and so is Ricky and Rico, who is also a high school batch mate. I also met another cousin, Jun-jun, who is here in Manila to work in a private construction project. But he said he will be back in Anahawan after that project since he is now living in Anahawan with his family.

To be honest, I could not really remember spending much time with them in Anahawan before. When you are living close to your family, or relatives, there is tendency for you to ignore familial bonds. Many of us only realize the value of these relationships when we start living away from each other or when faced with a challenge that threatens our very ties with each other.

See You Soon

It is truly a delight seeing your kababayans and relatives in this strange place far away from home. One of us came from as far as Laguna, some from Cavite, some from Pasay, and then some from Makati. It seemed to me like there are Anahawnons everywhere.

Some time after 2PM, we started saying goodbye to our hosts, took pictures for souvenirs, and then left with the hope to see them again in the future. When and where, we still do not know.