Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Anthony's High School JS Prom - February 2011



After  more than 10 years (yes, I'm getting old), I was again able to witness a school activity at my Alma Mater. Last Feb. 18, 2011, young boys and girls at Saint Anthony's High School were baptized into becoming full gentlemen and ladies.

Having been educated in this school more than a decade ago, I can not help but compare what I have witnessed to what I have experienced during my time. Whenever I say "during my time", it really makes me feel old, but somehow, it makes me feel better, probably because of the memories it brings. Wow!, "during my time...." (looking up at the ceiling with a smile).

Going back to the "their-time-vs-my-time" comparison, first, they already have this guarded gate where I had to show my camera and make reasons that I need to be in there so I can take pictures of my cousin, as if I am from press, but without the ID. Second is the sturdy covered court that ensures the enjoyment continues through the night, even when it rains, or should I say, especially when it rains. During my time, I think, more than 50 percent of our night activities throughout 4 years of high school has been hampered by unfriendly weather. Third, the teachers are getting younger and hip. Or am I just growing old too fast I am starting to see everyone else getting younger?
And lastly, who could not notice the students' attire, something that has not been even considered as an option during my time? They say, poverty was the main reason why the school did not encourage wearing formal wear during my time. There are simply too many students who could not afford the clothes and probably would just opt to exclude themselves from the activity rather than suffering additional clothing expenses. At least,  we had the pink bow tie in addition to our school uniform when we had our JS Prom.

Sadly, few minutes after the formal program, when the students are just beginning to enjoy the ball (this is what they call it today, during my time, it was "disco" or for the even older ones "bayle"), the school principal, Fr. Merwin, stopped everything due to discipline issues with the kids. :( I am not sure what exactly happened but it sounds so ironic for the newly baptized gentlemen and ladies.

Well, during my time....




Other pictures and videos of this event are also uploaded in our Anahawnons Facebook Page.
 

You may also want to read other SAHS related posts in this blog:

SAHS Anniversary and Homecoming 2010 – Part 1: A Blast! Perteng Alegreha!

SAHS Anniversary and Homecoming 2010 - Part 2: Every Alum is a Star

SAHS Anniversary and Homecoming 2010 - Part 3: A Vista of Inspirations

SAHS Alumni Homecoming and Anniversary – Part 4: Success! Success! Success!... and Some Lessons to Consider  

SAHS Alumni Homecoming and Anniversary – Part 5: The President Says Thank You